Sunday, April 20, 2008

This morning I took a visit around the Railway Quarters at Tanjung Aru to walk down memory lane. It was indeed very quiet in this place. Eerie quiet. It seems this place knows it will soon turn out to become the next bustling place in the city of Kota Kinabalu when the Government develop it as the Transportation Centre like KL Sentral.

This row of quarters facing the Kepayan Road, all too quiet...


























The Railway Clubhouse, where the workers used to gather for billiard games and social activities during the colonial days...















This is the local grocery store...



Hardly any activities











This is the quarters where I was born 56 years ago.










I took time to drive around this area. I drove behind the workshop area and lo... interesting pictures. Look at these trains. There are just like what they were when we left this place in 1965. To think that we have been independent for 44 years and these things remained as if time stood still...

1 comment:

A.S. Kasah said...

I know Sabah Railway is so dear to your heart. You have seen it since your childhood days. You have grown up to be a successful entrepreneur but our Sabah Railway seems to be frozen in time. A couple of months ago my wife and my daughter took a train ride from Tenom to Beaufort just to have a good feel of the ride. My daughter took several shots of the train including the interior and when I saw the images they are the reminiscence of my school days in Sabah College way back in early 70s when I have to take the same train from KK to Beaufort. No changes effected since then. I'm touched. Comparing a LRT, monorail or even KTM Commuters for that matter make Sabah Railway a Jurassic Park. Please do something about it.